What's new

Is ReadyBoost Really Working in Netbook with Windows 7?

ebenzunlimited

I just get myself a a brand new HP mini model 110-3004TU 2 weeks ago, actually I never bought it myself, but it come in as a bundle package from my broadband subscription. I know if we talk about HP mini or netbook  if you are more familiar with. Lot of people claim that, the speed of Atom processor is far too slow to perform any task with it. But for me it turn out to be a totally different story as it is more than enough for me to write the blog and perform some document processing.
ReadyBoost-for-Windows-7.jpg
So back to the topic, is ReadyBoost really working? My answer would be yes, it has significantly improve the boot up and shut down time of my HP mini aka netbook. By how much? I would said around 25% improvement on the overall loading speed. And unlike the previous version of Windows Vista which is limited to use up to 4GB of max of additional memory, Windows 7 simply lift up the limit 64 times meaning that, it will allow up to 256GB of additional memory to be installed. (Microsoft)

How to Perform ReadyBoost?

Step 1. Slot in a SB flash drives,  SD cards or CF cards into your laptop.

*Notes: For SD Card preferable to use the one with higher transfer rate Class 6 or higher, am using the Sandisk 4GB Class 6 Extreme III 30MB/s.

Step 2. After you insert one of these types of devices into a Windows 7 system you?ll see an AutoPlay dialog box like figure below show up in your screen.

Step 3. Choose the option ?Speed up my system?.
Is-ReadyBoost-Really-Working-in-Netbook-with-Windows-7-1.png
Step 4. In ReadyBoost tab.  select ?Dedicate This Device to ReadyBoost? option to enable ReadyBoost and specify how much space you want to make available to the disk cache.

*Notes: If the device isn?t compatible, you?ll see a message informing you that the device doesn?t have the required performance characteristics forReadyBoost.
Is-ReadyBoost-Really-Working-in-Netbook-with-Windows-7-2.png

Step 5. Click OK, ReadyBoost will configure the device to use the cache and immediately begin using it.
Is-ReadyBoost-Really-Working-in-Netbook-with-Windows-7-3.png

In general, the operating system will actually work from the cache on the device, all the data in the cache is mirrored on the hard disk. Therefore, if you inadvertently remove the device while it?s in use byReadyBoost, the operating system will immediately fall back to the cache on the hard disk and pick up right where it left off.