What's new

Video-game publishing CEO trash talks Windows 8

• Thread starter dspacedude
  • Start date
  • Viewed 1121 times.
D

dspacedude

Valve chief executive Gabe Newell said Microsoft's new OS "is kind of a catastrophe for everybody in the PC space."
July 26, 2012, 1:17 PM ? Microsoft has a lot riding on Windows 8, so the company cant be happy about a public flailing its new operating system received from a big-time game publisher.

I think that Windows 8 is kind of a catastrophe for everybody in the PC space, Valve chief executive Gabe Newell said at a game conference in Seattle, according to Venture Beat. I think that were going to lose some of the top-tier PC [original equipment manufacturers]. Theyll exit the market. I think margins are going to be destroyed for a bunch of people.

Indeed, his gripe really involves revenue.
With features such as Xbox LIVE integration, gamers and developers could prefer the Windows Store in Windows 8 over Steam, Valves digital distribution service for games.

So whats Valve going to do about it?

Focus on Linux, for one thing. Newell called it a hedging strategy.

Were trying to make sure that Linux thrives, Newell said, indicating that a lack of games is one thing holding the operating system back and that without them consumer adoption suffers.

In a blog post this month, Valve explained that after porting Left 4 Dead 2 to Ubuntu, interest grew within the company, which is currently working on getting the Steam client onto Linux with full functionality, optimizing a version of L4D2 running at a high frame rate with OpenGL and porting additional Valve titles.

While Newells anti-Windows 8 views are bold, its interesting to note the gaming visionary is a former Microsoft employee. In fact, he mentioned that his many visits to different companies as part of his work with the software giant actually helped him form a company with a unique culture focused on experimenting.

On the topic of experimenting, Newell also shared some thoughts about what will happen in about a decade when the computing world evolves beyond touch.

He predicted that people will someday wear bands on their wrists and talked about Valves $70,000 wearable prototype that he can use to look around a room and see information overlaid on objects.

How can I be looking at this group of people and see their names floating above them? That actually turns out to be an interesting problem thats finally a tractable problem, he said.

The full interview is available at Venture Beat.